Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are we all poor now?

So far, I have not worried myself too much about the whole financial crisis thing. I think the reason behind this is best explained in this blog post by my sister. However, I am beginning to err on the side of alarmed.

See, I live in a bit of a bubble. There is not much that can penetrate this little bubble o' mine. I am so very safe and full of hot chocolatey goodness in here. You know, like with addictive stuff and warmth and sugar - things that are completely satisfying until you realise that a) they make you feel sick, b) they make you hate yourself, and c) they make you grow a fat arse. I'm just very ignorant, very disillusioned and fatally optimistic.

I thought when the cash collapsed that it would just be one of those things that affected people who had heaps of money in shares and maybe some petrol prices would go up for awhile or something. And then suddenly everything would go back to normal and we would all say, "Huh. We thought it was going to be worse than this. Hmm... bored. Let's scrutinise K-Rudd's nose wiping again." But now it looks like this thing is going to stick! There's a fair chance I might have to start paying attention!

I can only compare this feeling to the one I had after 9-11 when it dawned on me that I was living in a time of war. Something I never thought would happen in my lifetime. Wars and depressions were supposed to be things of the past that only happened when the people were stupider and had nothing better to do. I mean, we have the internet now and our overinflated opinions of ourselves and our disillusionment that we all have something to give to the world. I just don't get it. (Okay, I kind of do, but seriously it hurts way more to openly understand than it does to feign ignorance, especially when I'm so good at tricking myself.)

Another of my burying-my-head-in-the-sand kind of ways is to not say scary stuff out loud. If I can wrestle my bad thoughts, overpower them and drag them kicking and screaming to that far away cave in my mind and quickly trap them with a boulder, then they can't harm me. If I say these things out loud, well... they might have substance. The thing is, as much as I don't want to give this frightening thought any credit what-so-ever, I can't help but wonder - Are we all poor now?

No comments:

Post a Comment